View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchrugg View Post
HI Everyone, I have inherited a 1946 Epiphone Zenith acoustic guitar. The guitar seems structurally sound but has been PLAYED quite a bit over its lifespan. The tuning peg plastic knobs are crumbling. One has nothing left on it. Frankly, I am not sure if I want to keep and play, want to fix and sell or just want to sell at this point.
My dad had and played the hell out of a 1939 Zenith that I absconded with when I got him a Gibson Les Paul studio. I had it professionally setup, but compared to more current flattop builds, it still sounded like crap. The only thing it's got going for it is that it's "vintage." But it's collectibility rating is "D-".

Fixing the tuning knob(s) would be a cheap fix. Get something that at least looks original. Then try to sell it. It's really not worth much, but you might get lucky with someone who's seriously into vintage archtops. The sound coming out of newer acoustics is really in a different league than these old thin-sounding laminate archtop Epiphone Zeniths. Sorry for the harsh opinion, but there it is.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2014 Gibson J-15 -- 2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string -- 2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page