View Single Post
Old 01-28-2021, 11:38 PM

Default Flashback to 1971...

My first acoustic group (I had given up electric over a year before in the interest of hearing preservation, didn't pick it up other than home practice for the next fifteen years), my first college girlfriend, and some rather enlightening on-campus experiences inside and outside the classroom (which Forum rules prevent me from discussing here), that would henceforth and irrevocably shape my worldview...

Truth be told I didn't like most of the electric music (still don't) - listened to pre-disco R&B/soul and horn bands (Chicago/BS&T), picked up on singer/songwriters (Gordon Lightfoot, Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, etc.) and acoustic vocal-harmony groups (CSNY, America, etc.), took some music majors' courses in harmony/ear training (proved valuable when I did freelance arranging a decade later), got my first exposure to "serious" music circles (for better or worse), also the year I rediscovered 48th Street "Music Row"...

Then there was the '64 Pontiac Star Chief 4-door - 389 under the hood, total sleeper inside and out, ran like a bat out of Hades (unbeknownst to me the previous owner had done some creative under-hood work, found out first time I mashed the gas ) - and this '64 fuelie 'Vette I caught on Flatbush Avenue at 2AM in my first (and only) street race, but that's another story...