View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHS View Post
Of the 300+ guitar books I've collected over 30 years, I cant think of any that try to do all you are asking. The most popular classical guitar methods cover much of the same ground, natch. Shearer, Noad, Parkening are all good (that's my order of preference, if not also in order of popularity.)

For a practical survey of applying 3rds, 6ths, 10th intervals to songs, fingerstyle, my favorite is Alan DeMause, "Complete Fingerstyle Jazz Guitar Book." Another good one is Howard Morgen "Concepts: Arranging for Fingerstyle Guitar."

For a workout in just reading and playing intervals for classical guitar, get "Guiliani's 120 Right Hand Studies." Those studies also appear as a chapter in Scott Tennant's "Pumping Nylon."

I imagine there's also college level guitar composition texts used at some universities. Anyone here have any of those?
Thanks! What in particular puts Parkening last on your list? I heard about it so much that I actually decided to order it. Interested in knowing which others are better before diving into it

Totally understandable that one book wouldnt do all of this. Im just trying to sort of create my own study plan for getting to my goal of not only playing classical guitar, but also composition. I really want to compose on the guitar as I enjoy it so much more than piano.. so I want to really learn guitar specific theory