View Single Post
Old 12-26-2020, 03:22 AM

Default Steel to nylon...the transition

Happy Christmas all..

For those of you that have made the transition from steel to nylon and perhaps play both, which nylon strings have you found most suitable?

I have a few sets to try but all are medium tension - two with nylon trebles and one with carbon trebles.

My first reaction, apart from how long they take to settle, is that the tension is very low compared to what I’m used to. Would hard tension be a better transition or does this make the higher action an issue?

My action seems to be around 3.7mm low E which from what I’ve read seems about standard on the low side, but it’s still quite an adjustment given how far those strings have to be pushed to fret...

I’m also keen to hear what strings people like the sound of - I have a set of EJ45 bog standard D’addario as these seem like a benchmark all rounder. I then have (on right now) a set of Augustine red (another fairly standard string) and lastly I have a set of Savarez 540r alliance which have carbon trebles. Are there any others I should try that you really like - I appreciate a balanced tone with a focus on clarity without losing warmth.

Loving the journey so far but it’s clear that the transition is not going to be as straightforward as I anticipated it might be - it’s all most like two different instruments :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig