View Single Post
Old 02-15-2021, 10:02 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhw48 View Post
That's exciting news! I can't wait to see some photos. I really love my Franklin. The guitar has really beautiful clarity and sustain, balance of bass and trebles, and good note separation. Before he sent it to me Nick told me the guitar had a "metallic" sound, adding "But that's good!" It doesn't sound metallic to me, I think what Nick was referring to is that it has a bell-like quality: it rings like a piano, and the notes kind of sparkle with overtones, but it is definitely wood! Of course, a lot of the sound is due to Nick's magic. I have to polish up my chops, improve my recording set up, and post some sound clips. I was thinking of learning Dave Bromberg's "I Like to Sleep Late in the Morning" as an homage to Nick's 5pm to 5am work day when he's working that magic...
That's a great tune! It'd be fun to play! I don't consider myself a blues player by any stretch....but I've been having a blast lately with Renbourn's "I Know My Babe."

Yup...I get it about your guitar and the "Franklin" tone. There's something so unique about his instruments. Like a blend of vintage Martin resonance with the modern balance between strings, tonality, etc. It's sublime. And overtones....I love that. Especially when you play on the unwound strings in the upper registers.... and you hear the overtones and that reverb. I live for that sonority. Glad you're so happy with your guitar! It's a beautiful instrument!