View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 11:33 PM

Default Finding the right pickup for my OM-35 MFG - LR Baggs iBeam content

My brain works in bullet points, so here we go

Brief history:
  • After struggling with EQ-ing a K&K pure mini + pre-phase control in a Recording King ROS-06, I eventually found a sound I was happy with
  • Bought a used OM-35 MFG online (NGD post) and sold the Recording King
  • On to a journey to finding the right pickup for the Martin
What I want:
  • Something non-invasive
  • Something that doesn't alter the integrity of the guitar, for example inserting a UST
  • Something that isn't too expensive
  • Minimal need of outboard gear
What I play:
  • Pretty much from fingerstyle to heavy strumming and everything in between, playing church music, pop and blues
  • Playing unplugged at home
  • Playing plugged in at church - always with in-ears monitoring system
  • Gear wise I have a Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum (the old grey one)
So with that in mind, I came down to these:
  • K&K Pure Mini passive installed with tape instead of power glue. The one in the Recording King was boomy with very hot mids, I like the neutral highs though.
  • LR Baggs iBeam active
  • DTar/Duncan Wavelength Duo - a bit on the expensive side
  • Baggs Anthem - a lot on the expensive side and has a UST. This is also used by the elites in my circle of musicians
  • K&K Trinity (the one with an SBT and a mic) - expensive and has a big PCB inside a guitar
So...despite and due to the inconsistent praises and curses of the iBeam active, I got curious and I bought one.

My findings so far:
  • Bloody hard to get the right position, lol
  • A little boomy but nothing overwhelming
  • But has a zingy, stringy, steely sound - I have to cut treble and brilliance a little to tame the zing
  • And hot mids, way too forward compared to the unplugged sound - I have to cut mids by around 10dB midway in the mids frequency band
  • And after all that still not 'my acoustic but louder' sound
I'm not happy with the iBeam but I'm glad I took the plunge and found out what all the fuss was about. I'm already considering getting a passive Pure Mini and be done with it. A part of me also wants to do the other extreme and shell out and get the Anthem and join the elites. I haven't decided yet.