View Single Post
Old 06-24-2021, 01:21 AM

Default 47mm nut width too narrow?

I’ve played and owned a number of nylon string guitars both traditional classical and crossover. Also recently finished a classical build where the nut width was 47.5mm as the player has small hands. I also have small hands and relatively slim fingers and find the string spacing a little cramped. The nut width limited me going any wider on the spacing and I find I’m more prone to inadvertently touching adjacent strings.

I’m a steel-string player who plays some classical guitar; the traditional classical 52mm nut is too wide for me and I strongly suspect the ideal nut width is 49-50mm for my hands.

Are you going with a flat or radiused fingerboard? I also experimented with a 20 foot radius on the above build, thinking it would make the instrument more playable and perhaps help with the tighter string spacing. In reality I’m finding that some pieces are actually harder to play because of the need to barre and stretch; that could be partly my technique and increasing age, but my own classical with 49mm flat fingerboard really does feel easier.

One other thing, if at all possible go with a 12-hole bridge as it makes string tying a little easier and improves break angle over the saddle. Down the line this can prove invaluable if the action needs lowering significantly.