Old 04-13-2020, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Yeah kinda the way i look at it.
Why i went with a video editor.
This app wants all my info and
agreement to auto renew before it will
even let me try...so much for free trial.
Hmm, I got the app free with no problem. Clicked on the app store, downloaded the free version, no payment, nothing up front. Just limited features (30 second limit). I only decided to pay once I thought it was useful enough that I might actually make some full length videos with it.

You actually can download the video to your device or desktop, and you can delete your video in the app, so they aren't going to own anything. My only objection is that the collab workflow isn't ideal for what I want to do. Probably perfect for kids who want to make viral videos with strangers.

The freemium model is definitely a mixed bag. Annoying to download something, only to find the features you want cost something. Of course, it'd also be annoying to pay for something up front that you can't even check out. I kind of prefer full-feature time-limited demos myself, but I'm not sure that's something the app store supports, since I haven't seen any apps doing it. Common on desktop programs.

Anyway, you got your video all figured out, so this isn't something you need. I was just impressed by how simple and slick it was to use,, as long as people in boxes is all you want, and it solves the issues you had. I watched a tutorial by a guy doing it the hard way using an app called WeVideo (which also was a monthly fee kind of thing), and it was incredible to watch how tedious it was for him creating a 12-person box, manually syncing every video, resizing the boxes, etc. And he was spending a lot more money, and doing hours of work, for what could have been "touch the box on the screen and play".

That hasn't stopped me from doing it the hard way for my recent videos, I just use Final Cut, which lets me (i.e "makes me") do a ton more. But if I was doing a big group project and was more casual about the result, Id probably use the app just because it's easier, especially when involving people who don't have the gear or experience with video.

Last edited by Doug Young; 04-13-2020 at 07:42 PM.