View Single Post
Old 04-14-2016, 10:29 AM

Default Sennheiser MD 441 for recording acoustic g.

The man at my local music store tells me that the AKG 414 condenser mic is known for making many a famous & great acoustic guitar recording.

I think I recall Sound on Sound Editor Paul White mentioning in one of his music production books that he often makes his best acoustic guitar tracks with just one AKG 414 -pointed either to the bridge or the bottom of the neck.

The trouble is AKG C414 condensers cost over a K note, way above my budget & as well, these days I'm forced to record in a somewhat noisy acoustically untreated room environment.

I've been told that all condenser mics -even the multi-pattern condensers with hypercardioid patterns & reflection filters etc. pick up all the room noise. -Otherwise my research would of led me to the very affordable CAD M179 ($279.00 can$) -20Hz to 20KHz multi pattern condenser with hypercardioid setting;

*I was advised that a good (unidirectional) dynamic cardioid mic is the thing for these acoustically hostile settings, -this is a valid enough solution for the vocal tracking, -the trouble is dynamic cardioids simply don't make it for recording acoustic guitars. The received wisdom, (in gearslutz.com) is that generally condenser mics are by far best for recording acoustics, (although in this forum I've noticed ribbons being used as well).

* Then I learned of the Sennheiser MD 441, an excellent clear high fidelity dynamic that is very good for various instruments as well as vocals.

Although not the cheapest dynamic cardioid mic, -could it be that this would be my go to solution ?