View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
You can go amazingly low with 24 bits and have no issue. But if you put the mics further away, the guitar level will be reduced relative to room noise and room acoustics. Usually for home recording, we have to mic closer than you would in a professional studio. I usually mic 6-8 inches away. There's some proximity effect, but as long as it sounds good, it doesn't matter.
I dropped my comment in there because the discussion centered on an overly dark sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
How far would you recommend Fran? I find when I get alot farther I cant get a decent enough level going into my DAW. I try to shoot for around -7db.
I don't stress over tracking levels, but generally think in terms of RMS around -16 to -20 dBFS. I hope you're talking peak level, right?

Proximity varies with the mic but it starts at a surprising distance and goes to a higher frequency than might seem obvious. Here's a graph from DPA showing the proximity effect for one of their cardioids:

I tried to find a similar graph for the ADK A6 but the vendor info on that mic is rather minimal, not even a frequency response graph or polar pattern diagram.

I'm usually out around 18 to 24" these days, which means I do all my serious recording around midnight and still have to toss some cuts if a car goes by at the wrong time.

Proximity effect can be addressed with a simple shelving EQ if the source is on axis, so it's not a terrible problem as long as it doesn't cause any overload in the chain during tracking.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog