View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 11:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Well it's been a while, and while this guitar is still being fit in the cracks here and there, it will still be a while until it's completed. However, I need a little more advice (i.e. your vote) before continuing on.

Here's some progress shots of what's happened since you last saw the guitar.

I needed to clean up the sound hole edge, so I bound it in some black veneer.

Then I decided to put in the Southern Cross inlay that we voted on. To start the process, I found a scrap of mother of pearl to cut the five stars from. They are wee things, so they didn't take much.

Here I'm aligning the pattern on the peghead. The tiny stars came out naturally irregular, but I think it adds to the charm of a twinkling star.

A problem I had was with the smallness of the pieces, how could I mark their location without moving them. I ended up dusting them with chalk, and when removed, I was able to precisely mark where they were without losing them.

The inlaid design.

Now here's where I need you. As this is a constellation, some have asked if I couldn't work a combination of our logo into this design. Personally I like how this inlay has turned out, but I wonder if it might be cool to add the lines you might see in a book of constellations. You know how they add in the dashed lines to help your mind see the shape of Orion or Cassiopeia. What if I added some subtle lines to give the hint of our Kinnaird 'K' logo? I've included a side by side shot of our K with a drawn in version over the Southern Cross. Yay or nay?

I'm going to give a little while to vote since this hasn't been up in a bit. But please chime in whether to leave it or add "constellation" lines.

Thanks

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas