View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Those are common design targets, though not universal. For example, on the steel string guitars that I make I use less than 1/2” as the design target: I do use 1” for my arch tops.

Any individual instrument, particularly as it ages, might or might not be at the designed target. That an instrument is not precisely at its design target does not necessarily mean that a neck reset is needed. The need for a neck reset can be determined on a case by case basis. For steel string guitars, a typical indicator that an instrument might be in need of a neck reset is that the string height (action) on a property set up guitar is too high while there is too little saddle projection from the top of the bridge. One factor in the determination is bridge thickness.

What are the symptoms you are experiencing that lead you to question the neck angle of an arch top?
Charles, I don't have a problem. The reason for my question is that I bought a 1935 Kalamazoo KG-21 and I will take delivery of it tomorrow. The seller (GC in Fort Wayne) says the action and intonation are fine with no issues. I have never owned an archtop and wondered how I would determine the neck angle on this guitar. These guitars reportedly don't have a metal rod in the neck (not that this would pertain to the neck angle???). Thank you.
Michael