View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mking View Post
So you mean on Martin type guitars the distance from the guitar's top to the bottom of the strings should measure a half inch? On an archtop the distance between the bottom of the straight edge to the top at the bridge should be a little more than an inch?

Thank you.
Those are common design targets, though not universal. For example, on the steel string guitars that I make I use less than 1/2” as the design target: I do use 1” for my arch tops.

Any individual instrument, particularly as it ages, might or might not be at the designed target. That an instrument is not precisely at its design target does not necessarily mean that a neck reset is needed. The need for a neck reset can be determined on a case by case basis. For steel string guitars, a typical indicator that an instrument might be in need of a neck reset is that the string height (action) on a property set up guitar is too high while there is too little saddle projection from the top of the bridge. One factor in the determination is bridge thickness.

What are the symptoms you are experiencing that lead you to question the neck angle of an arch top?

Last edited by charles Tauber; 01-09-2020 at 10:11 AM.