View Single Post
Old 04-15-2014, 03:47 PM

I have a SCGC Vintage Jumbo. I purchased it used from an expat in Thailand which is where this guitar lives.

When I am gone it sits in an un-airconditioned condo for 3 months at a time. I've had it for 4-5 years now. It's life before me was pretty heavy coming from Hawaii and being played heavily by prior owner who gigged.

It has finish worn. And a few bumps.

In comparison to my stable of guitars here in the state which includes R Taylors, McPhersons, a Petros, which I list so you know I have other high end guitars. I've owned Martin Marquis (OM 28) and a few others.

The SCGC is a very fine instrument. It holds tune. Has required a setup every few years due to going between 90% and 30% humidity. My gut says the only wood acoustic that might have held up better to the extremes this one has been through is a McPherson which seem to be built like tanks.

Having said all that I have no desire to import another acoustic guitar. It sounds wonderful and plays great. ABout a week after I get there and it is in the dryer air from AC it starts playing again. And has a wonderful even tone and excellent projection. I've also played it through PAs and it sounds very natural. I would not hesitate to buy another SCGC product.

If you are looking in the smei-boutique area of guitars I feel SCGC merits consideration by anyone looking at Collings, Bourgouis, R Taylor, Huss and Dalton, Lowden, etc. A fine manufacturer of guitars.