View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Here are a couple of the biggest characteristics of a mic that can't just be EQ'd in: dynamic response and headshell resonance.

You see, a dynamic mic has a diaphragm with a little tube attached to the center around which wire is wound. That tube is fitted into a circular slot in the mic's magnet form. When the diaphragm moves the coil of wire moves within the magnet, inducing a small current into the wire. That mass of tube and wire increase the mass of the diaphragm's center and thus induces a drag that makes the mic resist compliance to impulses and high frequency sounds. So you've got to figure in compliance and dynamic response BY FREQUENCY because the dynamic response changes with frequency.

Then there is headshell resonance. Sound feflections off the inside surface of the microphone body up at the end with the pickup combine with the direct sound to cause reinforcement and cancellation of small bands of frequencies, in larger numbers and smaller bands than you can take care of with an EQ. The precise combination of these bands contributes to the character of a mic's sound.

And then there are the grosser, smoother response curves that define the mic's published response.

And that is what these programs are attempting to model. I hope that helps.

Bob
Thanks! I knew the response curve (what I tend to call ADSR, just a hold over from fooling around with synthesizers) differs between capsules and types, and that A part (attack), that fast or slow rise, a faster rise would be the tougher thing to create by filter. Your point about the limits in terms of bands or parameters of what even a series of parametric EQ filters can do adds a new (knowledgeable/experienced) perspective. I'd guess it'd be a pain in the neck to do by hand, and if even attempted you'd want to do it once and save it, which is what I guessed the old microphone modeler software plug in did years ago.

Again, I appreciate it. Questions are easy/answers are harder.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....