View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Rick, with all due respect, lower self noise and tighter low end are always good attributes, but I'm not sure what you're saying the KM 184 is better than. The KM 84? Try to find one in good working condition first. I'm not trashing the KM 184. I'm just saying there are better choices...........
Ty Ford
I'm not even suggesting the 184 is better than the 84, just that there are pros and cons for either one. Your comments about the 184 were anything but complimentary and seemed to dismiss it as unworthy of serious consideration. To wit:

"The KM 184 is a pretty bright sounding mic. The older KM 84 is more natural sounding (if you can find one in good condition). If you really like the KM 184 sound, then OK, but if you want a more natural sound, I wouldn't go there."
The KM 184 made more sense back in the analog days when some of that brightness was lost in analog tape. With digital, we don't need to compensate for analog tape loss."

Another thing we both failed to mention is that that finding a KM-84 that actually meets original spec is going to be difficult. Finding 2 that match, harder still. Not to mention that once the capsule on one of those oldie goldies collapses, that wonderful mic is now a paperweight from Germany.