View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 12:30 AM
Charter Member

In the same vein, I went to hear a bass-playing friend's band a few years ago. The guitarist was extremely agile, taking on some things typically beyond the reach of most bar band pickers. I'm keen to focus on a player like that and absorb all the pointers I can.

But his tone just wore me out. Whether he was playing SRV, Yes, Beatles, Steely Dan, Floyd, ballads, country or soul, it ALL sounded like George Thorogood - every single note.

Don't get me wrong... there's nothing the matter with a little George (very little). But applying that identical sonic mallet to every style of song causes (IMHO) aural fatigue. The amp was a medium size Line 6, which I assume had buttons and dials to change things up a bit, but he ignored it. No pedals either, and he never once changed pickups or touched the vol/tone knobs on his PRS guitar.

My take-away is this. Whatever your go-to gear is, or how you arrive at your sound... break it up a little to keep things varied and interesting. A talented player vomiting gray noise 10-12 songs in a row had me burned out and ready to leave after just one set. Darn shame.

Last edited by tinnitus; 02-14-2020 at 08:13 PM.