View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post
Hey RJ ... the endpin?
Yup Took me a while to realise there wasn't any (and that was the source for a bit of confusion).

I think the piece you chose to present her voice was perfect (what was it, btw?). Most instruments sound good when playing only open strings, it's when playing more complex harmonies in less happy keys that you can hear how good an instrument is. And that works with any kind of "naturalistic" recording.
Here, I hear a very well balanced instrument with plenty of resonance and detail, rich lows, mids and very sweet trebles (I almost forgot I was listening to steel strings).

I discovered long ago that the best way to evaluate a recording/interpretation is not to play it under optimal conditions where I'm doing nothing but listening to it. Instead, I play it over the same good equipment but while doing something with other parts of my brain (e.g. studying some text, coding some software). A good interpretation will not interfere and could even have a constructive effect, but anything "off" will annoy me even if I hardly notice it while listening attentively. No reason the same wouldn't apply to assessing how an instrument sounds. I'll try that later tonight with your recording

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)