View Single Post
Old 07-08-2018, 12:19 PM

Having 2d, 3d, 4th thoughts about this surgery. Seems my surgeon (possibly the best hand guy in Chicago) is minimizing the aftereffects and downplaying the pain & difficulty of recovery. Everything I've read says that pain aside, I will be unable to care for myself for weeks--no using L hand for anything, not even pulling up my pants or undies, no holding or lifting anything heavier than a pencil (so no tugging on anything either), no opening jars, bottles & cans (how could I care for my cats?). No cleaning my glasses either.

And that's with an intact R arm & hand--my R has hairline fractures at each end of the radius and it's often painful to do stuff like open & close doors, my car's tailgate, operate the shower diverter, dry & style my hair, pull on my jeans, fasten my bra (front or back), work a zipper or buttons, toileting, etc. I am not willing to cut my hair short so it could dry by itself--it would look awful, and I am not about to accept suddenly looking like a fat(ter) dumpy unfeminine old lady. I might even need a caregiver or even several weeks in a rehab center for self-care and OT to learn how to do it on my own. (For all intents & purposes, it'd be like I had a hemiplegic stroke but could still walk & talk).

Can't use my mouth to hold stuff, as I have some teeth that are so sensitive (one might be loosening) that I can no longer eat corn on the cob, ribs, bagels, crusty breads, fruit out of hand--and can't have them stabilized lest I get osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) from the Prolia shots I've had to prevent osteoporosis from the anti-cancer pill I have to take for at least another 3 yrs. That's if the sensitive teeth aren't already ONJ symptoms.

I know my L hand and arm will not heal w/o surgery. But it might not get any worse. I can cope right now--and accept that I can no longer play an instrument and that w/o surgery I never will. But the surgery is no guarantee that I will ever play again anyway--and even the best case scenario may not restore me to much (if any) more functionality than I have now. I have accepted that with or w/o surgery, my performing career (except vocals) is over and I will need a collaborator to play any melodies & chords I might write should I continue to write. I just hope that life as I know it isn't also over.

I am in for agonizing bone pain--and even after the acute pain of surgery is over (and I've weaned off the prescribed opioids--surgeon thinks I'll need them only 3 days, but primary care doc thinks more like 3 weeks), I will likely have extreme pain resting my arm on anything (even pillows) thanks to the hardware irritating soft tissues. Surgeon admits I will have some permanent soreness & stiffness of my wrist, and will have bone pain spasms in cold & damp weather so long as the hardware stays in--and it can't be removed for 1-2 yrs, and that's if the bone fully knits.

Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday. I'm supposed to fly to NY 8 days later--surgeon says that should be fine, but he's not the one having to cope. I wrote him, asking if I shouldn't wait till I get back from NY (Bob can't go alone, as the purpose of the trip is a presentation we must both attend--the hotel is non-refundable, though I could apply the airfare on SW for a future trip w/in a year). Or at least after I have had several OT sessions pre-op to learn and practice how to live one-handed.

I'm terrified. Talk me down off the ledge. Has anyone here successfully coped with anything like this?

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.