View Single Post
Old 01-25-2020, 04:55 AM
Charter Member

I grew up on the Old Pueblo but haven’t been back for more than a visit since about 1982. In those days Rainbow was a little hole in the wall In a corner strip mall just up from its current location, on the Grant side of Grant and Campbell - now it’s got a big old place up the block on Campbell.

I bought my first cheap acoustic in a pawn shop in Olympia, WA in 1977, but then moved back to Tucson as I was getting into playing and went through about 3-4 electrics, all from Rainbow, before finally landing on a used $400 strat that was my only electric for 25+ years. And I bought a used and slightly abused 1968 D-28, also for about $400-425 that was my only acoustic for the same 25+ years. I’ve never been in the current bigger Rainbow - just driven past it. Last time I was in Tucson I was a few months from having started playing again after a looooooong lay-off. Next time I’m in town I’m gonna check it out.

I don’t remember the Folk Shop - maybe it wasn’t there by the early 80s??? But I remember getting absolutely lost in the racks at Chicago Music downtown in those days. The gems I’d find I could never afford, but my god it was fun checking stuff out there. That was the only location in those days and I’m pretty sure their current downtown spot is a different one - and they didn’t have a second shop on Speedway in those days.

I remember some other shop I’m thinking on Broadway out towards El Con (could be way off) where I took a couple of guitar and drum lessons when I was about 9 or 10 - none of it took though at that point, and I don’t remember much of anything about it.

-Ray