View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Kh, regardless of what strings are used on this guitar, one of the factors that can really diminish the tone and volume is when the player’s forearm is laying on the top and inhibiting its full vibrations. So the next you see your friend, try this simple test:

Play a robust first position E chord with your forearm laying on the top. Then, while the chord is still ringing, lift your arm off of the top.

The chances are that you’ll get a much richer, fuller tone with noticeably more bass response once your arm is off the top.

Then pass the guitar back to your buddy and have him try the same thing: play a vigorous first position E with his arm on the top, then lift the arm off.

If there is a change in the tone when he does that, and he LIKES that tone, then he might want to consider putting a John Pearse on the guitar. I have John Pearse armrests on all of my flattop guitars, and they definitely improve the tone, and most dramatically on Triple O’s, OM’s and smaller body instruments.

Full disclosure: I am an artist endorser for John Pearse strings and accessories. But I had John Pearse armrests on all of my flattop guitars for a good ten or twelve years before John decided to make me an artist endorser.

I use the armrests because they do exactly what they’re supposed to do, which is let the top vibrate to its fullest possible extent. Now, classical guitarists are trained to keep their forearms off the top when they play, so they wouldn’t benefit from using an armrest.

But those of us who lack that formal training do benefit.

It’s just a thought, and your friend might get the tone he wants just through experimentation with string alloys. But try that little test I mentioned, and see what you all think.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
I agree with Wade, I'd go up to mediums to move the top more rather than drop to extra lights. To be fair, the short scale 000 with 5/16" bracing is a relatively boxy sounding guitar. That's the appeal to some and drawback to others. The standard scale OM-28 with thinner bracing might suit his playing style better if the string change doesn't do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
Owned this guitar. Loved 80/20s... I like the Martin lights, and Elixir nanos even more. I was amazed with mine. It was not boxy at all and had. A nice full balanced sound, with a pleasantly robust bass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I like the med/light, Bluegrass gauge strings these days.
Medium gauge strings for the bass side and light gauge strings for the treble side.

Try a set of Martin Retro strings in Bluegrass gauge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
The owner described the guitar as “boxy.” I appreciate the same in this guitar. Doesn’t mean it’s boxy for everyone, but, under certain playing styles, obviously it can be. And under other playing styles, it is not. But the owners playing style is definitely not irrelevant here...
Thank you again to all!

I am going to have my friend try mediums, 80/20s, and see if that does the trick for him.

If not, as mentioned, he might be better off with an OM, but I know he is enjoying the comfort of a short scale guitar.

Thanks, again!