View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I use a touch of compression on nearly all of my solo guitar recordings, for what it's worth. It has to be *very* light, or you will hear it, and it will sound bad. With vocals and some other instruments you can be more heavy-handed, but not fingerstyle guitar. But just a touch, to my ear, brings the music forward a bit, fattens it up, smooths it out. It's subtle, but it can be an improvement. If you have your solo guitar music professionally mastered, the mastering engineer will almost certainly use some degree of compression in the process.

Me as well.

Lately I’ve grown very fond of Izotope Ozone 8. Although I love the wide band analog style compressor that comes with, I’m REALLY impressed with the dynamic EQ which is inserted before the mastering comp. A tad complicated to detail in a post but there’s plenty of vids that do a good job of explaining. It’s really a game changer for compression. Essentially it’s a real time dynamic eq that attempts to corral eq peaks (in very small increments) so that the mastering compressor has a better change of not over-reacting to those minuscule bursts of overs. It makes for a MUCH smoother task for the compressor.

Honestly everything Izotope does is superior. Waiting for an Izotope reverb and I’ll be totally in the box