View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Question #1. What is compression? And what do "attack" and "release" refer to? Is a good guide available on the net?

Question #2. DAWs:

What makes one better than the other? Is it the quality of the plugins? How many plugins are actually presented as built in options/features that add "value" of one DAW over another?

Bonus question: Can a home recording become decent with Audacity and the right use of features and plugins?

Thanks.
Compression is actually exactly what the name says It is a process of compressing the dynamic range of the audio by a certain amount of db (ratio) when the audio goes beyond a certain level ( threshold)

Attack: is how quickly the compression occurs when the audio exceeds the threshold
Release: is how quickly the compression stops

In todays world (2018) there really is not one better than the other per se especially among the full featured major DAWs . The only real differences is the overall feature set , the GUI ( Graphic User Interface, or how it looks and is laid out) and the work flow

While there are probably some minor differences in the sound of different plugins, Again I don't think there is any significant difference in sound of the bundled plugins in the major DAWs. And with the availability of numerous 3 party plugins the available in almost all SAW formats there is no difference.

I haven't ever tried Audacity but I am guessing a you can get a "decent " recording and mix with it . Again the biggest difference will likely be more about the workflow involved to get there.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1