View Single Post
Old 01-19-2021, 12:58 PM

Kevin confirmed that the frets on the X20 are FW43080 (.080 x .043), almost as @eatswodo had kindly measured ... that's okay for me

considering that radius is 16° i should not feel differences arriving from a 15°, what do you think?
or maybe that single degree of difference can be felt more also thanks to the different neck width? (1 11/16 vs 1 3/4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Domen, don't let MY impressions prejudice your thoughts about your incoming guitar. Make your own decision once you have played yours. We all hear and feel guitars differently. Maybe by the time yours arrives I will know better which string type works best. I work as an acoustical engineer solving noise and vibration problems, and some have suggested that my expertise could be used to add damping materials or other reversible mods to the top in an effort to tame the tone. But I have never worked so hard to make any guitar "fit" before.
... But I had no idea that they would change the fundamental layup process - or whatever they did - by the time mine was under construction. I approved the pinless bridge and scalloped fretboard end, but nothing was said about a different top. With five other examples of Emerald guitars in the house, I was pretty confident about what would be delivered. I was ready to accept the new custom guitar to replace the stock model outright, but it has not worked out that way.
@Earl49, you're right... it makes no sense to bandage my head before breaking it (I don't know if this italian saying works once translated), I mean speaking before I have even received the guitar, but since mine is a custom guitar too, i cannot have doubts once the guitar is delivered to me, just like you.
I obviously exposed my fears to the very kind and patient Kevin who was very concise on this topic, he simply said that he played about every Emerald guitar and the x20 is the perfect dreadnought, adding to see @byudzai's in-depth review (which we both certainly have carefully seen) and the comparison with the D28. The point here however would not be how the new X20 sounds compared to the Martin D28 but rather how the new X20 sounds compared to an old X20. I can certainly understand Kevin's caution in not saying if they have changed something but I repeat that, given that a purchase of an Emerald can only be considered by listening to opinions and videos on the net, it would be useful not to give different expectations to customers.
I do not intend in any way to cancel this expensive purchase but at least I do not want to have expectations that then lead to any kind of disappointment. Spending all that money and not being happy with it would be a really bad blow.
If you think it will be appropriate to tell something more about what Kevin told you I would be grateful otherwise I understand that, at some point, it may remain a private matter.