View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 04:14 PM

Default I still have one and I am about to resurrect it this week.

When I was a kid when the dinosaurs roamed the earth my second acoustic was a Harmony 12 string. It sounded wonderful but you had to stand on the strings to fret it. I traded it for a mandolin to a girl in Kansas who played the violin. But that sound always stuck with me. So a few years later the very first guitar I ever bought new was this Alvarez 12 string. I got it from a music shop I frequented in Cedar Rapids Iowa.

For years it was the only guitar I played. I had bought a hard shell case for it and glad I did as one evening while bar hopping I looked in the rear view mirror of my van to see a 180 lb girl standing on the case in my van. Heart attack!!! Brakes and inspection. Dam you can't beat a good hard shell! Sorry I am digressing a little but I wanted you all to know how long this guitar has been with me. The stories it could tell would entertain you for hours I imagine.

Well the new bone nut and saddle are arriving today on UPS and I already have the new set of strings for it. So I will be letting off the truss rod and replacing the nut and saddle and doing a setup from scratch on it in the next few days. But it will never be the best guitar I have or have had because it has this fancy rosewood back and it never sounded as good as the cheap mahogany Harmony but it is an old friend and does play well when setup properly. As a matter of fact it is the reason I only buy mahogany dreadnoughts anymore.

Moral of the story... If I had known how to do a good setup when I had that old cheap Harmony I would still have it and be playing it. But a friend is still a friend 6 string or 12.

Last edited by adams484; 01-17-2017 at 04:26 PM.