View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

I understand the temptation to discuss the Kraut build in the context of this new build, but I'm hoping we can really focus the discussion on John's great guitars.

This build has been in the works for several months and the idea of working with John has been gestating for several years, so please understand that I haven't decided in the last few days to commission a new guitar as a rebound from the Kraut experience. It's a different builder, a different spec, and is likely to be completely different experience.

The Kraut was not my first commission. I have taken delivery of a Mustapick OM and a Baranik - both experiences were great, particularly the experience with the Baranik. The guitar he delivered, which was based on a guitar I had played, was/is exceptional in every conceivable way. The experience with Mike was/is exceptional in every conceivable way.

So I am not using this guitar as a way to recover from a bad experience. I'm simply progressing with a build that's been in the works for a long time.

And, to be clear, I am not trying to achieve a vintage Martin sound. I liked the sound of the modern voice on the 00-12 I played at HGF, and that's what I'm hoping for. So, again, this guitar is not going to be described in completely abstract terms. It will be described relative to a guitar John has already built. That has proven to be a successful formula for me in all but the Kraut experience.

I believe the experience with Ray Kraut was the exception, rather than the rule. I will continue to commission guitars from talented luthiers, and I will continue with guitars I already have in the works (Beneteau, Baranik, Osthoff, Circa). There are all highly talented - and reasonable - luthiers.

If we can, please let's leave the Kraut discussion locked up in the other thread.