View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
My current city has the musicians of their farmers market in a "busking" type of situation.No amps allowed, no covers(even thought they charge you $20 a season to play there....).You are allowed only 30 minutes in a open area right in the middle of the passing crowds, with no real designated space.Then you have to move on to the next area.
I tried the busking format twice there and it was a dismal experience.The crowd practically ran me over , no one could hear me play, even with blowing the harmonica loudly.By some miracle my guitar and case suffered no damage from the stomping and inattentive crowds...
Yikes! The 'no covers' requirement means they were not paying their PRO licenses (and no doubt were contacted by BMI or ASCAP previously). The fact they only let you set up for 30 minutes in a general traffic area and didn't pay anything shows they were just trying to 'milk' unknowing players to play there.

To the OP:
Do you see buskers in your town, or in the towns where you are thinking of doing it? Some towns require licenses (but some are free). Others only allow playing without amps, or in certain designated areas.
If you are doing it without an amp/mic, remember that you need to be able to sing loud enough to be heard, or if you are playing instrumentals, even more so.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele