View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 01:53 AM

Default How to get started flatpicking?

Hi all,

I've been playing 15 years, and the last ten years or so have been focussed on fingerstyle - a big hero of mine is Bert Jansch and I've spent a lot of time first of all learning some of his music, and then adapting that style of playing into my own style.

I would modestly say I'm a pretty good player in that style - anyone who wants to be the judge of this can see me play here:

But I also really like a lot of the Norman Blake stuff I hear and I really love Julian Lage's World'f Fair album and I'd like to be able to mix it up a bit and put some flatpicking into my playing...

The issue is I'm not really schooled in a lot of this music and I'm not sure where to start - when it came to learning 'british folk fingerpicking style' I started with Angi as it seemed to be the standard piece that encapsulated a lot of the ideas behind the style without being impossible to play - is there an equivalent flatpicking piece?

Also a few album recommendations would be really good - I have Whisky Before Breakfast and that's it...

Thanks!