View Single Post
Old 03-19-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilo123 View Post
Well put Charles. Thanks!

Personally i am having a blast. If anything is getting in my way it is a bit of OCD lol. That being said i totally understand your guidance here. I don't expect to have great woodworking experience right off the bat. This is more of a journal for me than anything else. I am fortunate that you and Ned are bothering to reply to some of my questions. Between that, research on internet, and Youtu.. I am probably getting much more information that I could say 15-20 years ago when there was no internet. It's the same for guitar playing. I used to have to listen to cassette tapes over and over for just sections sometimes for hours at a time (SRV for instance) just to try to figure out what they were doing. Everything was by sound and i did not have formal music education. It was painful but very rewarding when i finally did figure it out (or at least i thought i did lol). that was the fun and reward of it. nowadays with internet and video online it takes me minutes what might take me hours before.

Physically yes there is definitely no substitute for hands on experience. i can watch all the videos in the world and when i get to actually doing it i will find it is nothing like the video when starting out. in other cases i will know exactly from video what to expect and know that my frustrations are the norm for this particular step in the project.

Also thankfully experienced woodworkers like yourself and others realize this and put together something i can get to put together as a beginner and build up that hands on experience. otherwise it would be such a daunting project someone like me would probably never bother trying. i was looking at LMI kits the other night and they have the non servicable one which is basically raw parts. i took a look at that and said no way could i make a guitar out of that this point in my experience. i would have a hell of a lot more trouble than i have now. that being said the kit builds introduce me enough to grab me and push me into testing, trying, gaining hands on experience.
i will look into some woodworking courses locally although i must admit my interest is more for art for lack of a better word. i don't have a desire to build housing for instance. more like string instruments, carvings, etc.
Even though it is about building classical guitars, I'd recommend "Making Master Guitars".

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Master-.../dp/0709048092

It shows how to build a guitar with mostly just hand-tools. If you can build a guitar by hand, then any power tool that speeds, simplifies, or makes the processes more accurate and repeatably accurate is just icing on the cake. And if you can do it all by hand, then the world is your oyster and you have proof that you can build pretty much anything if you understand the design.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia