View Single Post
Old 03-19-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Twilo,

Your chronicles of your first instrument making experience highlight that there are three primary aspects to instrument making. The first is, for wooden instruments, good woodworking skills and a knowledge of wood as a material. The second is design skills, allowing one to make aesthetic choices about sizes, shapes and proportions and to implement them. The third is a knowledge of instruments, themselves, and the forces imposed on them and how to use materials and design choices to obtain a desired response (tone). While there are other aspects that go into instrument making, those are, perhaps, the most fundamental.

It is, as you are discovering, very difficult to do woodworking without a fair amount of knowledge about the material and the tools to work it. Many very fine instruments have been made with nothing but handtools. Machinery can be used to replace much of the handtool work, but one still needs to be skilled at using the machinery. One can learn these skills as one goes, or one can learn these skills independently. One can learn these skills from books, videos or by taking classes. There are, however, many skills to be learned, from how to setup a hand plane, to sharpening tools, to using a cabinet scraper, use of abrasives, adhesives... The more direct the approach to developing these skills, the sooner one can apply them to instrument making. Being entirely self-taught is, for many, a very long road filled with frustration and money wasted on ill-informed wood and tool purchases.

It might be very helpful for you to find an introductory woodworking course at a local high school, college, or woodworking store. You might investigate robcosman.com.

It is by far, much easier to learn to make instruments by taking a hands-on course. There are now many to choose from, including local schools dedicated to instrument making, colleges and even a few on-line courses, such as Robbie O'Brien's. Doing so, gives you one method or sequence to successfully use. It will provide you with practical, proven approaches for each step. It can reduce the trial-and-error and its associated frustration. One really cannot learn to make instruments via internet discussion forums. Sure, one can pick-up a few tips and tricks, but not much more. To assemble those into a cohesive approach is a difficult undertaking.

Building instrument kits can be a good introduction to instrument making, but it can also be a very frustrating one if one does not have the background skills necessary or if one lacks sufficient instruction on how to assemble the kit. Some kits come with detailed instructions, others less so. Some kits are better designed to ensure a novice's success, others less so.
Well put Charles. Thanks!

Personally i am having a blast. If anything is getting in my way it is a bit of OCD lol. That being said i totally understand your guidance here. I don't expect to have great woodworking experience right off the bat. This is more of a journal for me than anything else. I am fortunate that you and Ned are bothering to reply to some of my questions. Between that, research on internet, and Youtu.. I am probably getting much more information that I could say 15-20 years ago when there was no internet. It's the same for guitar playing. I used to have to listen to cassette tapes over and over for just sections sometimes for hours at a time (SRV for instance) just to try to figure out what they were doing. Everything was by sound and i did not have formal music education. It was painful but very rewarding when i finally did figure it out (or at least i thought i did lol). that was the fun and reward of it. nowadays with internet and video online it takes me minutes what might take me hours before.

Physically yes there is definitely no substitute for hands on experience. i can watch all the videos in the world and when i get to actually doing it i will find it is nothing like the video when starting out. in other cases i will know exactly from video what to expect and know that my frustrations are the norm for this particular step in the project.

Also thankfully experienced woodworkers like yourself and others realize this and put together something i can get to put together as a beginner and build up that hands on experience. otherwise it would be such a daunting project someone like me would probably never bother trying. i was looking at LMI kits the other night and they have the non servicable one which is basically raw parts. i took a look at that and said no way could i make a guitar out of that this point in my experience. i would have a hell of a lot more trouble than i have now. that being said the kit builds introduce me enough to grab me and push me into testing, trying, gaining hands on experience.
i will look into some woodworking courses locally although i must admit my interest is more for art for lack of a better word. i don't have a desire to build housing for instance. more like string instruments, carvings, etc.