Thread: Sexauer/'14
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 07:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

I think you guys may have the right name, I know for a fact that I do not. In any case, it's not what I'm going with so it'll have to be another day. I have joined the Pear and the Limba.

I have also picked a top and a style for the guitar. It will be a 000 C, my design rather than Martins, not that there's much difference. I have joined the top and I have installed a rosette. The rosette is kind of complex, and added about 4 hours to the build, as well as be a bit less than perfect. I did something similar for TAMCO a couple of years ago. If I did another one similar to it right now I'd get closer to heaven, but this one will do as I still think I'm WRX-ing this one and that means I allow a bit more latitude where perfection is concerned.

This top IS German spruce, and came to me from Martin Guhl a number of years ago, 2007 I think (written in my hand in pencil at the time). But it was cut 30 years before that, he says, so as tops go it is pretty aged. It is very dense and stiff, in big contrast to the last guitar, which is nearly as stiff but weighs far less and has a lower surface hardness. This one is in the Adi range, and I am pursuing a loud and dry sort of sound. We'll see what really happens.

Here's the cleanest part of the rosette: