View Single Post
Old 12-14-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhainz View Post
That sounded really nice. I think you can be really proud of what you've built there. My advice would be DON'T SELL IT. You put your soul into building it, you should keep it. I know I'd regret selling the first guitar I built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSemmens View Post
Sounds bloody fantastic for a "cardboard box". DON'T sell it.....give it to meeee!

Seriously, it is not only a beautiful instrument, it sounds great, too. How does it play? Are you happy with the feel? Given that this is your first attempt, hang on to it, build another one and sell that!!!!
Thanks guys for the positive words!!
Despite what both of you are trying to say, the selling issue isn't as big as it could be as from the beginning it was always about 50/50 that it would be for myself or be built specifically for a friend. Unfortunately they can't afford it even at break even money for me. I'd love to keep it as it sounds good and its the kind of guitar I like, but as I am currently unemployed and broke and still owe for the workshop hours and the lacquering, it basically has to be sold. I'd be quite happy to sell it to a friend or relative (thats the route i'm heading down at the moment and its looking positive but nothing concrete yet) but if that comes to nothing i'd begrudgingly sell it to someone I don't know. If it ends up with a friend or relative its easier to me to see it again, or borrow it back should I need it for some reason.

As far as how it plays, it plays great, i'd even go so far as to say its more comfortable (or at least as comfortable) to play as my strat. The neck is 2mm wider than 'typical' but you only have to play 2 chords and you realise it may be wider, but its still perfectly playable and after another 2 you don't even notice it. The short scale (24.9") and the fact that its 12 fret give the illusion that is wider than it is.
The setup took me quite a while, its my first "from scratch" setup on an acoustic and its not quite the same as tweaking an existing guitar. From the bass guitar I also built previously I learnt how important the fretwork was/is and I learned that because I had to do it twice! This time round it still took a while to get it exact but I knew what was required to get there and now have most of the tools myself to get that done without real problems.