View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big.Al View Post
A guy in my current church choir has an Eko electric guitar that looks like this one, except in red:

I'm not sure if the row of buttons selects the pickups or allows the guitar to be played like an accordion.
I had one of these too, never knew it was an EKO (the letters must have been taken off or gotten lost somehow) but nice to finally find a picture of it.
It's a tremelo version, using ball bearings as far as I knew.
Best tremelo I've had, better then Bigsby me thinks (which had the spring drop off if you pulled it up, eeeeek).
The top was an acrylic type of material, bonded to the wooden back with some plastic strip.
It had a very nice action but can't remember if I did something to the neck angle to make that happen.
Those switches had a tendency to change all by themselves with even the slightest touch. The one used most would prevail as it would slide much easier then all others. I remember moving them unwanted with my sleeve only.
It didn't really sound very good but beggars can't be choosers,
I also had two Rangers, a 6 and 12 string. Both necks broke after a bit of a mishap in respectively a bus and a train. They were indeed pretty heavy and tough to play, but at the time I had not much of an idea of what a guitar should be like.
The sound of these wasn't bad, but then again I also didn't have much of a clue as to what a guitar could sound like.
I don't think they have added collector's value, they're just cheap instruments for the poorest of the poorest, which means they were exactly the right thing for me in 1970,
Man I'm getting quite nostalgic now, those were the days!

Ludwig

Last edited by Von Beerhofen; 11-12-2012 at 11:30 AM.