View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Mick, it goes back to my earlier post here. Let's take an example, any song in G. What's the highest note? What a dumb question you may think; it's not the same in every song. Could be a B, a high D, or even an E at the top of the staff. Exactly. Each song is different; it's your voice that doesn't change. It still reaches only so far in either direction, no matter what the key. So the trick is to find a key where your highest and lowest notes are more centered and easier for you to reach. And a capo can make that easier; that's its biggest trick (but not it's only one).

And if one is blessed with a wide vocal range, it can still make a difference as often the timbre, the quality of one's voice changes when you extend your range and with the use of a capo you can keep it sounding like you want.

Or you can learn to finger chords and play scales in all the various keys. That's what everyone should do, only no one wants to, or needs to - if they use a capo.

That kinda goes back to my first reply in this thread. Yes I can play a song in any key but it's the chord voicings that make choose to capo or not. That nice country rhythm in G or D suddenly will stay a nice country rhythm capoed up two but if play it in A or E with no capo it suddenly takes on more of a bluesy flavor because of the chord voicings. Just like everything in music a capo is a tool to be used to get the flavor you want not as a crutch to overcome a deficiency.

I appreciate the explanations about my vocal question. I'd never considered those aspects. But I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it either. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb