View Single Post
Old 05-14-2020, 10:45 AM

Hi Tom,

Congratulations! This is shaping up to be a fabulous build, which I look forward to following. I know it's been in the offing for a little while now!

FWIW, my approach with custom builds has probably been the polar opposite to SteveHs, no doubt due to some unhealthy control-freakery on my part as to the aesthetics, since I usually have a clear vision of what I'm after in terms of the look of the instrument (within the scope of the builder's palette), and know what I'm not so keen on. Tom was very generous and gracious in being accommodating on that front. But tonally, beyond a few broad brush steers (e.g. I told Tom I preferred tasto sounds / neck pickups over bridges on electrics), there's little common language - and probably little sense - trying to be overly prescriptive. I guess it's more that you chose a builder your drawn to - in terms of their sound, their aesthetics, and your relationship with them - which is more the selection procedure. And you've - IHMO - selected well with Tom.

I'm still very much in the honeymoon phase, nearly a year on, with my Sands baritone, and looking forward to another from Tom at some point (happy to delay that gratification!).

Best,

Dan
Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (another due 2022)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists