View Single Post
Old 09-06-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
There was nothing negative about what I posted so no need to try to be sarcastic. John Mayer has used a Matrix for years. It's a standard UST pickup and sounds like a piezo. That's the tone that most players despise. I would never look to Mayer for a great acoustic tone. My point, which you missed, is that going from the SC pickup to the Matrix will not be a big difference as they are both UST pickups.
I probably should have included a wink and a smile emoji, because that is how I intended the comment . My bad, sorry. While I'm not closely familiar with Mayer's work or his live acoustic tone, I understand your point about USTs. It does seem however that Mr. Mayer makes it work for his material.

I'm actually not impressed with the UST in my SC13e or with the UST in several other guitars I've used either, but for the material I play and for the venues we play in, it works well enough. For me, it just wouldn't be worth it to spend hundreds and hundreds to pursue something optimal. Clearly you have a different perspective and need and I completely understand. If I were playing solo/instrumental material in quiet venues to an attentive audience I'd feel differently. That said, I may look into a Tonedexter or Voiceprint sometime soon.