View Single Post
Old 03-30-2023, 05:16 PM

So I got the DiMarzio, swapped it in for the M80... I really don't care for it. I recorded a bunch of each (DI) and there's a fairly big difference. The M80 sounds "woodier." I often play pretty percussively, and the M80 gives me a cajon-like thump. With the DiMarzio, it's almost a piezo quack. Also, when I play hard the Baggs compresses a bit compared to the DiMarzio -- the DiMarzio has more dynamic range, spikier peaks, might be great for some players but not for me. I'm sure it's fixable but the balances of the string volumes with the DiMarzio, out of the box, were way off. Again, fixable but I didn't bother because I already knew the pickup was going back. And I'm not sure it matters, but the DiMarzio's magnets are the strongest I've ever experienced in a pickup. When I went to tighten down the side clamps, the magnets tried really hard to divert my screwdriver. You have to wonder if that has an effect on the strings.

Late edit -- did a gig last night with the Baggs and realized how much I use the little volume wheel if I'm not using my pedal tuner (which mutes). The DiMarzio has no volume control or mute.

Couch Standards

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 03-30-2023 at 05:26 PM.