Thread: Warm Audio?
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2023, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Yes, I use a pair of WA-84 mics and I like them a great deal. Here is an instrumental video I did using the WA-84 mics.

I'm glad to answer specific questions if you'd like to PM me.

- Glenn
I'm listening to this on my monitors and yes, your great playing, and a haunting piece -- but to the point of the thread, a very nice sounding recording to my uneducated ears. I wonder if DupleMeter who contributed to this thread would say that what is demonstrated on Glenn's video is consistent to what he recalls about his experience with the same model Warm Audio mic. Maybe different preamp "flavor", EQ, something else if there's a difference? Possible "secret" running change or variation of a component that could make Glenn's or my WA84 different from DupleMeter's?

My level of playing or recording isn't to GlennWillow's, though I try my best. I haven't had as much time in my studio space this year, but my impression of the WA84 mics is that they don't have an objectionable top end problem to my ears and setup. Midrange detail? There I might not have the experience to notice faults there.

Yes, I know that Internet audio, YouTube data compression and level normalization etc could cloud things (although these days, Internet audio is where much listening rubber meets the road) but my monitors tend to unforgiving to any brittle top end and I certainly didn't hear that in Glenn's demo. Lack of detail? I thought the video sounded maybe a bit compressed for solo acoustic guitar, but not in an unpleasant way -- and if I was mastering I'd likely make similar choices in volume levels knowing common listening environments.

Again, I'm not the expert in these things, and I appreciate the things I learn here.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....