View Single Post
Old 12-13-2020, 07:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default McKnight’s Fretboard Revival, Lustrous Conditioning Balm

We are offering a new product to treat your bare wood fretboard and bridge on your stringed instrument. I developed this product myself and it will condition and protect your fretboard and bridge. It's safe on all finished surfaces including lacquer, urethane, polyester, French polish (shellac) and oil varnish. It’s not meant to be applied to a finished surface but it won’t harm those surfaces if you do get the product on them.

I make this product myself, here in our shop and I’ve been using it on our guitar fretboards and bridges for quite some time. I’ve used it on Ebony, Rosewood(s), Wenge, Maple, Walnut, Zircote and Mesquite. When applied properly it will naturally darken all woods, maintain that color, seal open pores and protect the woods surface from water and human perspiration.

The commercial products, that I’ve purchased, have only held temporary results and allowed the wood to dry out and the color to lighten up as it continued to age and dry out. All of these fretboard treatments have oxidized the frets and allowed human grunge to continue to build up on the surface and subsequently ground into open wood pores.

Many people tend to use products that are lemon oil based which is not a true wood treatment but rather strong petroleum distillates (naphtha) that actually pull natural oils out of the wood and escalate the woods drying. The lemon scent comes mostly from lemon grass extracts and not actual citrus lemons as many are led to believe. After a few days of use the wood often looks quite dry again as the product quickly evaporates.

Our product is made of food grade ingredients and safe on all woods, leather and even cutting boards and butcher blocks used in the kitchen. I’m not buying and repackaging this product but I am sourcing made in the USA food grade ingredients and cooking this product in a crock pot her in my shop in the greater metropolis of Morral, Ohio.

357FDB5D-A570-4042-BD5A-60855FAFE4AB.jpg

98E01EB6-A23D-4F12-A551-53F5C04BD204.jpg

You will receive a kit including instructions, 0000 steel wool to clean the fretboard, an applicator pad and 2 ounces of the product.

We are offering this product in resealable tins for $15 + $5 shipping in the continental USA and accepting payment via PayPal. We are not planning to get rich here but merely hope to share a better product than what I’ve found available on the current commercial market.

PLEASE make sure to email or PM me with your mailing address.

Last edited by Tim McKnight; 04-24-2021 at 08:20 AM.