Thread: Sexauer '21
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2021, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

I’ve heard Bruce say similar with a few new builds - especially his “spec” builds, where he gets to build and design things to fit his tastes rather than meeting the expectations of buyers. These speculative builds are more “pure Sexauer”, not collaborations, and I find them to be extra special in a number of ways. I hate to say it, but some custom build specs seem more about aesthetic ego satisfaction than creating a premium musical instrument. But after playing things a little while, he’ll get a bug to try something else, a different size, different materials, maybe even an entirely different instrument ( he makes some nice violins and ukuleles too ) and someone will get lucky and take this one home. It’s a very special form of GAS, better called GBS - guitar building syndrome - which great luthiers seem to be uniquely afflicted with. As soon as one’s done, they just can’t not think about the next one they want to build. If I can remember how he put it some years ago, he’s in the business of building and selling instruments, not owning them - and that works for me!