View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Elderly is a great shop, but don't expect them to do a complete set-up before shipping your guitar; at best, they'll go through it and make sure it plays. But that's okay -- a set-up is a personal thing, and should be undertaken by the buyer after he/she plays the guitar a bit and decides on string gauge and action preferences. Also note that resonators are often sold with a fairly high action to facilitate playing with a slide. Anyway, I would discuss all this with Elderly before purchasing. They're very accommodating on the phone.

I agree. For blues, a biscuit is where it's at. The wooden Gretsches that I've played all sounded pretty smooth, however, regardless of bridge type. If you want that low down, gut-bucket "honk" of a classic blues resonator, you might look at one of the metal-bodied models.
I do hope that Elderly will in fact do a good setup. I realise that it won't be setup to my personal tastes, but I've never played a resonator, so I don't know how personal they'd really be able to make it any way. Based on what I have read on the Elderly web site, they will indeed do a complete setup, presumably to the liking of whoever does the setup.

I'm put off the metal resonators by their weight. I have tried to search for a lighter metal resonator (relatively speaking), but they all seem to weigh too much for me to find them comfortable.

Thanks.