View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 12:36 PM

Truckjohn

I have to disagree. I work on tall ships with big big pieces of very hard wood - a 60 pound piece of Purpleheart, a Jatopa plank, 3 X 8 and 25 feet long, Osage Orange crotches, and I have yet to have a vintage chisel that did not do what it was supposed to do. And vintage chisels are very cheap. In response #12 to this thread I gave a link to an ebay sale of 2 Buck Brothers chisels in one lot, one of them over 100 years old, at $14.99 with less than a day left on the sale. I have a box in the basement of un-handles chisels that I have picked up for 25¢ to a buck or two and would sell for the same. Remember, as Bruce says, you only need a couple of sizes to make guitars, so no need of an entire set. Just pick up a couple of vintage chisels and toss the ones you don't like - PS I have never tossed a chisel in 55 years of woodworking

Marples no longer makes the blue handled (Blue Chip they are called) chisels. They were made by Footprint, but now Irwin is using the Marples name. If you are looking for good chisels, I would not trust the Irwin version - look for vintage Marples. There are a few on ebay right now at about $18-25 per chisel in sets of 5 and 6, but for that money you can do much better.

Ed