View Single Post
Old 03-24-2024, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ueirun View Post
Hi. New to this forum. Not sure if this is the place to post so please bear with me.

I own a Fender Acoustic Junior Go amp, and plugging in an acoustic guitar seems fine. However the volume from dynamic mic seems to be really lacking. Is this the case of the amp not having a gain knob? I don't really want to use another mic preamp or mixer as it will mean additional gear to bring around or buy. I'm using SM58 and Mackie EM89D.

I tried an Audio Technica condenser mic at home, and it was feeding back at 50% volume, so i guess it may not be a problem with the amp itself? Will a hotter dynamic mic actually solve the problem? I may also want to bring my amp back to the shop to test it out, just to ensure it isn't a problem with the amp itself.

Appriciate if anyone knows what can be done.
Both channels have a volume control, so turn the guitar down all the way and work with whichever channel you're using for the microphone. What you can get out of it is going to be determined by the volume adjustment, EQ you have applied, actual speaker characteristics (including the tweeter) and mic position relative to how the amp is positioned and faced. There's only so much volume you can expect from an 8" speaker. Do try both channels with the mic to make sure there's no built in gain difference between the channels.

If you can obtain sufficient volume from your microphone then you can bring the guitar channel up to match what you want.

How did you use a condenser mic with the Go? It doesn't seem to have phantom power unless it's supplied all the time. Some amps are set up like that, so that must be how the Go is set up.

If your amp does supply phantom power you might try the new Behringer in line mic booster that mimics a cloudlifter and a low $25 price point.

Last edited by Rudy4; 03-24-2024 at 07:48 AM.