View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
From what little I know about basic specs, looks like it will be a very capable machine.
It should be. What I did the last time around was to build a machine that was a bit overpowered so far as my needs were at the time. But that machine stayed viable for a decade and handled everything I asked it to do. Prior to that build, I usually bought machines to meet whatever needs I had at the moment. That would be fine for a few years but I'd inevitably run into some program that really pushed the machine to it's limits and I'd find myself regretting cheaping out when I bought the machine. In the ten years with this last machine, that never happened.

Quote:
I am just about ready to order the PCIe dual NMVe Blade adaptor (which BTW actually turns a 16 lane PCIe 2.0 slot into 3.0 capable. ramping up read write from about 1300 to 3500 mbs ) And the two 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO blades.
That's pretty cool. I had no idea there were adapter to do that.
The motherboard I'm buying has slots for three m.2 drives. I'm putting a 2tb in to start. I'll probably add at least one more before too long.

Quote:
I just found out that my machine will not be upgradeable to Mac's new Catalina OS coming this fall, but I don't see staying with Mojave as an issue in particular
That's always an issue with Mac computers. At some point the OS upgrades leave us behind. After that, we're on a timer as to how long we can update other software. I guess it's avoidable if we're satisfied with the current versions of our DAWs and can be happy not upgrading, but that's never been me.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube