View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
I guess this is probably the most elementary of all questions. I am pretty sure that everyone who comes to this site has probably passed this problem up long ago. I can play the "F" chord, but there are days.....I not only have a problem with the F, but I am having a time using my index finger to bar all the way across the fret board! I have buddies who seem to be able to do this as easily as I can play C. Please tell me i'm not alone here!!! Let me hear some stories of how you overcame the "F" chord??

threads on barring or F chords come up rather frequently, so you could search out a few for lots of tips. for example, curve your index finger to get more strength, and put pressure where you need it. in this case the index finger doen't need to fret the inner strings, since they are fretted by other fingers. the index need to fret the low E and high B and E, but not the rest. there's lots of advice around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Practice and patience...the only remedy.

just my luck, by the time I could play a first position F barre chord cleanly every time I got into music that essentially never requires a six string major barre chord ever.
that's funny - ain't it just the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMartyr View Post
The F chord is where proper posture becomes important. You have to be either standing and strapped in, or sitting in performance posture. The chord is easier to play when the rest of your body is properly postured. So sit up straight, just make sure to relax your shoulders. It does take a while to develop the hand strength. Make sure to get a good foothold on the apex of the neck with the meat of your thumb.

And I know this is going to sound like the opposite of what you should do, but try this. Relax when you play it. Relax and strum a Reggae rhythm.
and pay attention to where that elbow is.