View Single Post
Old 06-15-2022, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorse View Post
...All of my paid gigs are solo, and I do about 50/50 originals and covers that range from trad to modern country to folk (Richard Thompson and John Martyn type stuff) and chart songs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorse View Post
Just as a visual for anyone suggesting mandolin or similar, this is the hand size I'm dealing with. I have a 9" wrist circumference and can pinch grip smooth marble slabs of 50lbs or more together and carry them where my workmates couldn't budge them singly off the floor and would need the suction tool...

I suspect you don't get too many people screaming, "Play 'Freebird' " at your gigs...

Seriously, I'd suggest a baritone 12-string tuned A - A, with the second course strung with a wound fundamental (for tuning stability and elimination of occasionally dissonant overtones) and a plain octave - this should give you the depth you're after, while the octave second string (which tunes to first-string E in standard guitar tuning) adds sparkle and keeps things from getting muddy; as a rule they're few and far between though, and when you're lucky enough to find one they tend to be expensive, so it'd have to be something that'll see regular if not exclusive use...