View Single Post
Old 06-15-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
You still might need an amp but some modern day keyboards are pretty light weight especially when you get down to 60 or so keys.
Hmm, thank you, we do have a decent Yamaha keyboard at home as my kids all play it, but for gigs I'm keen to keep it 'acoustic', even though I realise it isn't as soon as pickups and a PA are involved. My venues still book and advertise me me as an acoustic act, and it has to look that way at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftless View Post
Mandocello, a large variety of banjo types, bajo sexto, large array mbira, oud, fretless guitar
I have a 5 string banjo, but I would like some more bottom end. Thank you for the other suggestions, off to look them up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolie View Post
Chromatic dulcimer
Interesting, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
The harmonium has been edging in with the folk crowd. They are a great accompaniment instrument.

Or you could try cow bell.

Bob
Thanks Bob. I have seen Irish groups Ye Vagabonds and Lankum using them at various sizes. The lad from Vagabonds even plays a drone with his heel whilst singing and playing bouzouki, and it sounds great. I am reading up on those. Never can get enough cow bell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineMarten View Post
I use a 10 string cittern a fair bit - much the same as the Irish bouzouki, but mine is a little larger than most, 650mm scale and I tune it CGDAD in unison pairs. It's great for accompanying folk songs, and kind of forces me out of imitating too closely other people's guitar arrangements!
Now THAT looks cool! Thank you, I am definitely looking into that!

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3