View Single Post
Old 08-07-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I've got the Helix and use it for studio work.

What modeling brings to my world is reasonable sound pressure levels for both recording and practice. As a recording engineer/producer I can't afford to irradiate my ears with loud guitar amps.

I don't like tap dancing either. Here's my secret: Most of my work is done on two (2) amp models. I basically have four presets that do the majority of my work: Fender Deluxe jazz clean, Fender Deluxe crunch, Fender Deluxe lead, Marshall 50 watt trem rhythm/lead. I use the guitar volume and tone controls for a lot of my tone shaping and I have my "special sauce" added to these presets to bring them alive. The presets also give me access to four loaded effects on foot switches: compressor, drive, delay, and reverb. When my sounds go down to "tape" they rarely need EQ because, as a recording engineer, I am always thinking of guitar as a component within a total mix. One thing I do assiduously is choose cabinet and mic models that give me the sound I want. Franky, I often play the modeler through a guitar amp with the modeler's cab model switched off to get my cab sound naturally.

A lot of the amp and effects models are superfluous to me unless the client calls for something different. I have run through them and checked them out.

Bob
I really think this is the secret (or at least the remarkably useful way to to about things that many ignore). While trying to use all the features can be fun for an adventurer or new electric player wishing to play the field while they form up some sense of what amp type works for them, those of us who have found some sounds that work for us can get a lot of use out 1-3 patches on one of these things.

There's something about the human mind (or some of us, some of the time) that can't help but think "I've got to use all that stuff" and it's corollary "I don't need all that stuff, just give me a good clean, crunch and overdrive." when you don't have to use what you don't need.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....