View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 01:56 AM
Charter Member

Just a reminder that there’s a difference between debit cards and credit cards. Debit cards withdraw money directly from your checking (usually) account when you make a purchase - it does not loan you money each time you use it which it’s up to you to either repay each month or start paying interest on, there are no bonus points or fees or interest rates to be concerned with. It’s effectively the same as paying with a check or getting cash from an ATM and paying with that. It’s just more convenient and makes for easier accounting and tracking of expenses. It doesn’t lead to financial irresponsibility because if you make a $50 purchase with a debit cares, that money comes out of your account more or less immediately.

I use credit cards for some large purchases but the vast majority of my electronic purchases are with a debit card, like I used to write checks or pay cash. Usually I can make that debit purchase without touching the card, using Apple Pay, but that doesn’t change that when I make the purchase, the money comes out of my account within minutes or seconds usually - it’s no kind of credit. There are debatable points about the efficacy and true costs (or savings) associated with credit card use, but those don’t apply to debit cards.