View Single Post
Old 12-17-2021, 05:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by THart View Post
I have a small body Weber Bitterrroot archtop, Sitka with Mahogany back & sides. Basically a no frills model which suits me just fine and it's a wonderfull guitar, way beyond my abilities really, but I can't help wondering what a red spruce over maple would sound like. Somehow to me, right or wrong, that seems like a quintessential combination. So I asked Bruce W what such a build from him would cost today. Well, maybe he doesn't build such a "basic" model now. His reply "$12,000 but the options are endless...The only thing that would take the price over $12,000 would be some elaborate inlay, pearl purfling, or varnish finish." So, just for comparison sake, what would 12K get you from other builders today?
There's probably at least 100 used guitars from small 1 man/woman luthier shops available under 12K.

The bigger problem is the search for them!! Put 'archtop' in the description and it turns into a 335 list that goes on and on. Put in 'carved top' and any number of PRS, et al come up.

I'm certain you can find Bourgeois, Benedetto, Moll, Triggs, and one of the best builders is Rancourt in Canada. Here's what less than 9K US will get you. Listen to Bridge Over Troubled Waters for the proof.

https://www.rancourtguitars.com/autu...4lV_a7P9s7yk3o

Regards,
Howard Emerson